If you're interested in joining the team, and you don't see a role above that is right for you, send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Truman Center and Truman National Security Projoect is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Truman does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please contact us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply.
Reports To: President and CEO
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Summary: The Communications Director will be responsible for the initial assessment, development, management, and implementation of the overarching digital and communications strategy. Responsibilities include Truman marketing and branding, messaging platforms, website redesign, and social media strategy and management, including seeking out new/reinvigorated non-press content.
The Communications Director will report directly to the President and CEO.
- Develop a marketing and branding strategy for the organization;
- Serve as the brand manager for the organization;
- Oversee marketing collateral design and production;
- Develop and execute Truman-branded social strategy (includes Twitter, Facebook, blog);
- Develop new/reinvigorated non-press content to improve communications with members and public (use of video, online and virtual events);
- Capture, repackage organizational collateral (photos, events video, press hits);
- Maintain all online platforms (includes website redesign);
- Maintain and cultivate the organization's digital communities and stakeholder engagement;
- Track metrics and conduct regular after-action reviews of communication initiatives to measure and evaluate the marketing success;
- Participate in setting organizational policies, establishing strategic priorities, and advancing organizational development plans; and
- Manage a combination of staff and consultants.
- Demonstrable expertise in the principles of strategic planning including audience and message segmentation, editorial and content planning, as well as robust measurement and analytical approaches to prove content effectiveness;
- Proven ability in developing digital strategies that achieve grasstops advocacy campaign objectives;
- Exceptional skill with written and verbal communications and ability to effectively communicate strategic recommendations;
- Significant knowledge of the social and digital ecosystem, including social platforms;
- Strategic and hands-on understanding of the principles of paid media planning and how to incorporate advertising into comprehensive content strategies designed to engage a variety of audiences across digital and social channels;
- Experience presenting and articulating integrated digital strategy, including campaign goals, objectives, and measures of success;
- Experience developing data-driven content strategies required and experience developing strategies informed by CRM and third-party data;
- Experience developing and conducting ongoing content performance tests and implementing optimizations;
- Basic graphic design and video editing;
- Experience with Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and the Facebook and Twitter pixels as well as social media management tools such as Sprout Social or Hootsuite Enterprise preferred;
- Experience planning and executing content effectiveness studies across social platforms;
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data from all digital channels, drawing insights from the data to inform future recommendations and strategies; and
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, juggle multiple projects, and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Masters degree with at least 7 years of relevant professional experience and demonstrated interest in dynamic national security and foreign policy issues;
- Digital/creative agency, non-profit, and/or public policy experience;
- Experience in working in Adobe Premier Pro; and
- Supervisory experience.
Salary range $80,000-100,000, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits.
Send a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, two marketing and/or branding samples, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reports To: Membership Director
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Summary: Our 2000+ members are the heart of the Truman Center and Truman Project. The Membership Coordinator is their first phone call, and the driving force behind programming that affects them. In this capacity, the MC (the Membership Coordinator) executes the cross-functional, daily operations of the Membership Department, to include (but not limited to): communication with members, data tracking (Salesforce, FormAssembly, etc.), execution of the application and selections process, Chapter activity logistical support, dues renewal process, and knowledge management initiatives. The Membership Coordinator is also a primary point of contact for applicants during the Truman membership selections process, often fielding questions from prospective members and the general public. Throughout, the MC works closely with Truman’s Executive Vice President and extended membership team to understand the needs of Truman’s members from application through orientation, from professional life to (someday) retirement, and to shape Truman offerings to best support every one, in every moment. This role offers challenges in organizing, organization, creative problem-solving, teamwork, customer service, and communication.
Especially attractive candidates for the MC position would have 1-2 years of organizing, volunteer recruitment, team management, Lean Start-up, Agile planning, and/or customer discovery experience. Our members are among the world’s best and brightest, easy to love and even easier to learn from; if you’re predisposed to do both, are a proficient self-starter, and are committed to making a difference in the world by making a difference for them, you can learn the rest here. Candidates do not need a national security or foreign policy background to apply.
Member and Chapter Support, executed with support of extended Membership team:
- Build and maintain close relationships with our members.
- Keep in close contact with the broader membership, including responding to, problem-solving for, and driving action in support of any member inquiry.
- Do the same for the leadership of each of Truman’s 16 Chapters
- Coordinate with Chapter leadership on events to include logistics, invitations, and reporting after the events;
- Draft and send regular membership-wide communications and newsletters;
- Coordinate Member communications with each other, by managing the Membership listservs and Slack channels;
- Make prospective members feel welcome, fielding inquiries and directing them as appropriate;
- In coordination with the extended Membership team, create, develop, test, and maintain new impactful offerings for our Members.
- Coordinate logistics for annual leadership retreat;
- Support promotion and member registration for the annual conference;
- Support the execution of annual new member orientation;
- Ensure member data is correctly entered into Salesforce database;
- Regularly run reports and maintain member data integrity;
- Process new member applications, and support the interviews and selections processes;
- Track annual membership dues renewals;
- Track member participation and record in database;
- Assist leadership in developing long-term knowledge management systems and structures.
Successful candidates will have a combination of:
- Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years of experience;
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proofreading skills, and speaking;
- Excellent organization skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Willingness to work long hours including nights and weekends, some travel possible;
- Ability to manage strong personalities with ease;
- Entrepreneurial and innovative, constantly looking for ways to improve systems;
- Proficient using the Web to conduct research, as well as with the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and
- Commitment to the values, mission, and goals of Truman National Security Project;
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Experience with mass email programs and CRMs (Salesforce database experience a strong plus);
- Customer discovery, user-centered design, or other innovation methodology interest or expertise.
Salary range $38,000-43,000, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits.
Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Ensure your cover letter includes an example of:
- when you demonstrated sound judgment;
- how you handle conflict; and
- an example that demonstrates you are a self-starter and like to take initiative
Truman Center and Truman National Security Project are equal opportunity employers with a strong commitment to diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. We strongly encourage people of color, transgender, and non-binary people to apply.